This week, classes in Explore have been making things over the campfire. The classes learned about fire safety and used their weighing and measuring skills to make Dampers – sweet bread – over an open fire.
In case you would like to make this tasty bonfire treat, here is the recipe.
- 250g self raising flour
- 40g Caster sugar
- 100 ml water
- First, put the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the water a little at a time and mix well.
- Use clean hands to knead the mixture and bring it together, adding more flour or water as required.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Find a 50cm stick and cover the end in tin foil.
- Take a small amount of dough, make it into a sausage shape and coil around the top of the stick.
- Bake over hot embers for 10 to 15 minutes until it is golden brown and solid to touch. Alternatively, these could be baked in the oven (without the stick!).
- Fill with butter, jam or chocolate spread.